The story of the ghost yacht that sank in the ice and then resurfaced


Give or treat yourself to a subscription to Boats in Motion print + digital and for only 39 euros a year you get the magazine at home plus read it on your PC, smartphone and tablet. With a sea of advantages.

“Mar Sem Fim,” also called “Endless Sea,” was a Brazilian yacht that sank in Maxwell Bay of Ardley Cove, Antarctica, about 850 kilometers south of Cape Horn in April 2012. Since then it has remained a ghost boat for over a year, half sunk.

Similar articles

Ghost yacht, was engaged in a documentary

Owned by a well-known Brazilian journalist and businessman, João Lara Mesquita, the yacht had four people on board when it sank. The crew was busy filming a documentary off the Antarctic coast when a strong wind of more than 100 kilometers per hour caught the boat pushing it against the ice. Trapped in freezing weather, the crewmen radioed a mayday that was received by the Chilean navy at Bahia Fildes base in Antarctica.

Il migliore farmaco del mondo è gratis: si chiama mare

All four researchers were rescued, but bad weather delayed the process by a couple of days. The waves were very high and the wind kept blowing relentlessly. “Our evacuation was extremely risky. Waves of nearly two meters and 40-knot winds made operations really arduous.” A member of the Endless Sea crew tells. When the Chilean navy boat was finally able to approach, the documentary filmmakers immediately jumped aboard, finally to safety. Everything went well for the people, but not for Mar Sem Fim who, at the time, could not be recovered in any way.

Image source: charismaticplanet.comImage source:

Sunken and trapped in ice

The icy water that entered the hull then froze, expanding and causing the Mar Sem Fim yacht to sink to the bottom of the shallow bay, just 10 meters. For one year it was possible to observe the boat from above in early 2013. Owner João Lara Mesquita was then able to return to that position, and when weather conditions allowed, he sent down divers who wrapped the hull with suspenders attached to some inflated buoys on either side.

The buoys were inflated by gradually raising the yacht that had been underwater for nearly a year. Once the boat resurfaced, towing operations began to the shore where researchers retrieved their equipment. The maximum insurance coverage, however, was “only” $700,000. Too few to repair all the damage the ship sustained in the year underwater.

Image source:

Image source:


To stay up-to-date on all the boating news, selected by our editorial staff, sign up for the Motor Boats newsletter! Just click the link below, accept the Privacy Policy, and click the “Subscribe Me” button. You will then receive the best powerboat news on your email, twice a week! It’s free and you can unsubscribe at any time, no obligation! CLICK HERE.




Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you already a subscriber?

Sign up for our Newsletter

Join the Sailing Newspaper Club

Powerboats, its stories, from small open to motoryachts. Sign up now for our free newsletter and receive the best news selected by the editorial staff each week. Enter your email below, agree to the Privacy Policy and click the “sign me up” button.

Once you click on the button below check your mailbox



You may also be interested in.